- Semi Private Courses
- Introduction to Garment Construction
Introduction to Garment Construction
Ready to make clothes? This course is for you. Focus will be on understanding sequence of steps in garment construction, and how fabric transforms into a three dimensional form through a variety of sewing techniques.
With guidance, you will work your way through two garments: a straight skirt (knee length) with zipper closure and a comfy short sleeved knit top with neckline ribbing and cover-stitch finish hemming. Working with both woven and knit fabrics are covered.
Studio is fully equipped with equipment and supplies. Patterns for skirt and top will be available for students to use during class. Student material list will be available at time of registration.
Pre-Requisite: Introduction to Sewing course or prior sewing skills. Students must know how to thread a domestic sewing machine.
- Sequence of steps in garment construction for common articles of clothing.
- How to use over-lock and cover-stitch sewing machines.
- How to read industry patterns.
- How to place pattern pieces onto fabric, pin, cut and mark fabric accordingly.
- Common apparel techniques. Invisible zipper installation, buttons, hook and eyes, neckline ribbing, darts, attaching interfacing, garment facings, variety of hand sewn finishes to the hem and closures.
All courses take place in our studio @ 122 - 1020 Mainland Street, Vancouver BC.